Why Walking Machine or a Treadmill?
Getting fit can be an expensive ordeal, especially if we’re looking to join a gym. There will be some who may find the trip to the gym too much, and are just looking for a simple way of getting fit at home.A treadmills or walking machine is popular with the masses because it offers a simple exercise regime that is effective
There are also many makes available, which means finding a model within your price range a less cumbersome ordeal. Below are eleven of the top treadmills that can be found on Amazon, along with a breakdown of the pros and cons.
1. ZAAP TX1000 735W Pro Motorized Electric Treadmill
If this is your first time buying a walking machine, then you may be worried as to where you going you’re going to place it, especially if room is sparse. As well as being designed for both newbies and more seasoned runners, the ZAAP TX100 also folds down easily when not in use so it’s not taking up space unnecessarily.
Add to this the different speeds and fitness program and you’re given a cost-effective electric treadmill that is ideal for walking and some light exercise. One drawback that may affect its use for some is it’s inline, which unfortunately cannot be adjusted.
- Easy to Construct
- Folds Down When Not in Use
- Fixed Inline
2. Goplus Folding Treadmill Electric Support Motorized Power
If you’ve been exercising for some time, then you may be looking to upgrade. The Goplus treadmill offers everything you’d expect from a standard treadmill, as well as some additional features. A shock-absorption system in place to help protect bines and joints, and there’s even the option of using the treadmill in conjunction with its G-Fit app, and the incline can be amended to offer a more thorough workout.
The side arms of the treadmill do offer support, although they could be deemed a little too short for some users.
- App Connectivity
- Inline Can Be Changed
- Shock Absorption
- Support Arms May Be Too Small for Some
3. Best Choice Products Pink 500W Portable Electric Treadmill
Let’s be honest, although there are many walking machines available, they can be limited when it comes to the choice of colour. The Best Choice folding treadmill comes in a bold pink and white design, and offers a folding mechanism for easy storage.
The foam handrails are comfortable to use and offer support to the use, as well as a LED display and an emergency stop button which can be easily reached in more stressful times.
The treadmill is 500w, so it some may feel it’s a little too underpowered for their needs, but if you’re new to the world of running, you could do much worse than the Best choice treadmill, especially given its price point.
- Unique Aesthetics
- Easy-to-Read LED
- Emergency Stop Button
- Motor May be Under powered for More Seasoned Runners
4. Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
Those who are looking to get on top of their fitness games will be looking for some encouragement when using the treadmill, and the Weslo Candence G 5.9 is able to provide this thanks to its features.
Not only are you given a heart-rate monitor, but you’re also given six personal trainer workouts that inspire you to kickstart your fitness regime.
The treadmill can be folded, and has Comfort Cell cushioning which ensures our workout isn’t too stressful on the joints. The only real downside is the 10-mph limit which may be too low for more experienced runners.
- Heart-Rate Monitor
- Comfort Cell Cushioning for Comfortable Use
- Six Personal Trainer Workouts
- Limit of 10 MPH May Be Too Slow for Some
5. Confidence Fitness Confidence Power Trac Treadmill
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use treadmill that offers straightforward features for beginners, then the Power Trac treadmill could be for you. There are four pre-set speeds as well as 12 built-in fitness programmes that help users fine tune their running workout.
There is an adjustable inline, and an LED display that displays the distance travelled, calories burned, and time spent. The treadmill even comes complete with its own lubrication oil.
As this is an entry-level treadmill, those looking for something with more resistance may be disappointed, but newcomers should find that the Power Tack is more than capable of meeting their requirements.
- Twelve Fitness Programs
- Adjustable Inline
- Ideal for Beginners
- May Be Limited for Experienced Runners
6. ProForm 505 CST Treadmill
Although more expensive than other treadmills on this list, the ProForm 505 CST treadmill does come with features that may not come as standard on other treadmills. ProShox cushioning ensures that there is no pressure on the joints when running, and has a display that offers information in relation to counter, pulse, calories burned, and the distance travelled.
There is even space for connecting your iPod, although if you were to buy an accessory, this feature could be used for almost any device.
The construction of the treadmill can be considered tricky when compared to other treadmills, but once constructed it is able to offer a comfortable and effective workout, without being too cumbersome on the bone joints.
- iPod Connectivity
- ProShox Cushioning
- Clean and Informative Console
- Some May Find It Difficult to Construct
7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7603 Electric Treadmill
The Sunny Health and Fitness treadmill is one that ticks many boxes when it comes to benefits. For example, the Sunny treadmill can be stored away with ease, and comes with a soft-drop feature that ensures the base of the treadmill never comes crashing down on the floor.
The treadmill comes included with nine built-in user programs that can all be easily access via the treadmill console and even comes with a pulse monitor that helps users keep track of their heart rate.
Even the construction of the treadmill is straightforward, with most user being able to get up-and-running within a matter of minutes straight out of the box.
One drawback I did find that when storing the treadmill, it is slightly heavier than others.
- Pulse Heart Rate Monitor
- Easy to Construct
- Nine Built-In User Programs
- Is Slightly Heavier Than Others When Storing
8. Portable Folding Incline Treadmill
While a more basic machine than others on the list, the benefits on offer shouldn’t be underestimated. The treadmill is self-powered, meaning that there is no need for an electrical outlet. If you’re used to electric treadmill then this can take a little getting used to, but you will soon adapt.
Of course, there machine may offer less features than others, which means that it’s not for everyone. However, if you’ve only got a little to spend and you want to start reaching those fitness goals sooner rather than later, then this is a great entry-point treadmill that can deliver where it matters.
There are a couple of drawbacks, in that the incline cannot be adjusted, and the handles may be a little too low for some.
- Easy to Use
- No Need for Electrical Outlet
- Incline Cannot be Adjusted
- Handles May Be Too Low for Some
- Limited Functionality
9. Homgrace Folding Manual Treadmill
If your environment is a little limited when it comes to space, it stands to reason that you’ll be looking for a treadmill that doesn’t take up much space when in use, and can be stored away easily.
The Homgrace treadmill has a clear display that highlights progress such as calories burned, and distance travelled. While no competition for more high-end models, it does a sterling job of supplying users with the basic, ensuring that they can they’re daily dose of exercise at a low price-point.
This is an ideal treadmill for those on the fence as to whether they should invest in a treadmill or not.
- Easy to Construct
- Straightforward Use
- Features May be Limited for Some
10. Merit Fitness 725T Plus Treadmill
If you’ve been using a treadmill for some time, then you may be considering an upgrade to help contend with your expanding fitness goals. While more expensive than other treadmills on the list, you are given access to some high-end features.
The Merit Fitness comes with a 2.25 horsepower drive motor that delivers a robust workout. The console of the treadmill is informative and offers feedback via its two-window LED display that measures times, speed, distance and calories.
The addition of more features means that this is bulkier and heavier than other treadmills on the market, but for a treadmill that offers more horsepower and functionality, this is only be too expected.
- AeroSoft Cushioning System
- LED Windows display workout information
- Rapid controls for fast speed/incline variation
- Short warranty
11. ProForm Performance 600i Treadmill
Let’s be honest, although a great amount of treadmills server a purpose, there can be time when the leg room is a limited. If you’re find your running space to be narrow at the moment, then it could be worth upgrading to the Proform Performance 600i.
A 20 x 60 tread belt is partnered with a 60” length that ensures you are give more than enough leg room when carrying out your exercise.
Runners can expect a top seed of 12 mph, and all the usual information can be viewed from the console, such as heart rate and calories burned/
One drawback of this particular treadmill is that it can a little loud. Probably not a big deal for the masses, but there may be some who are looking for something more discreet when it comes to their treadmill.
- ProShox Cushioning System
- Easy fold away design
- Lifetime warranty
- Weak motor
- Short arm rails
From the treadmills tested, the Proform 505 seemed to be the best overall contenders, offering a slew of features and a comfortable workout. However, your needs may be different, so it’s important to assess these before making a final commitment.
Running is difficult for me, what do I do?
Have You heard about Hedonic Treadmill? It stares that We adjust to circumstances (positive or negative) that happen in our lives and it becomes normal and tone of our lives after some time.
It is the same thing when We start exercising, it is difficult to start, but after sometime, muscles get stronger, Heart beat can take extreme measures,……etc. and We adapt to working out and it becomes the new normal thing to do.
Advantages of using Treadmills
- Eliminate the need to go outdoors, since the whole session is done at the same place and the time can be used to do other things like watching TV and others
- Keep the running surface at the same stability as the runner needs it to be
- Provide wide variety of data like heart rate, speed, calories burned,….etc.
- Many extra features like step count, heart rate monitor and others
Disadvantages of using Treadmills
- Noise that is produced by the motor
- Running at the same place for the whole session can sometimes be boring
- lack of Wind resistance and extra challenge
Comparing Treadmills for Home use
When it comes to comparing Walking machine or Running Machines for home use, We have to consider the space that they would occupy because We don’t have much space to work with. There are also many types of Treadmills with high tech built into them like email notifications, Meal plans,….etc. But when We choose one, We have to consider the following factor “Do You walk or run?”
In reality, Treadmills are used for walking and running equally. So when choosing one, You have to consider higher top speed or hours power, larger surface, and more durable. The last thing You want to do is, to buy a treadmill and find out later that it wasn’t the right fit for Your needs.
What is the right size of a Treadmill?
Usually, Treadmills for home use are smaller than the ones in Gyms for obvious reasons (Availability of Space). They usually come in 6 feet in length and 3 feet in width. If You don’t have that much space at Home, You might have to consider purchasing folding Treadmill or compact treadmill alternative.
* Folding Treadmills – They are as good as regular treadmills. While in use, They occupy as much space as the regular once, but when the are not used, the lower base can be lifted upwards leaving the floor under them empty for you to use.
* Treadmill alternatives – These are machines that come in wide range of price tags, They usually perform tasks of several machines such as Treadmills, Ellipticals and Stair steppers. The best part of these machines is, They don’t take much space in Your home.
What kind of functionality can You expect on a Treadmill?
A good Treadmill should have the following functionality:
- Speed Adjustment
- Slop Adjustment
- Emergency stop button
- Built in Fan
- Cool Down
What kind of Data can You expect on a Treadmill?
A good treadmill should provide You with the following data:
- Heart rate monitor
- Calories lost while running or walking
- Times elapsed
- Running or walking speed
- The incline or slop of Your run
Newer Treadmills no matter if You want to use it as a running machine or walking machine offer wide variety of functions like, Phone or tablet holders, Gadgets control buttons, TV screen, …..etc. But these features are totally your choice and they are not a must.
A weekly maintenance should be performed on walking machines in order for it to perform well and to promote a clean and healthy environment. The conveyor belt can get dirty and ware off easily. Here are weekly steps You can perform in order to achieve this:
Everyday and after every use treadmill maintenance
- Walking machine should be placed on a leveled floor, otherwise, the motor and screws can get loose
- Use dry and clean cloth to remove any dirt, left behind sweat on the front panel and hand rail
- Use dry and clean cloth to wife away sweat to prevent injuries and keep the conveyor belt in good shape
- Use clean cloth to remove dust that is accumulating on the front panel and electronic parts
- Only Water should be used to clean Your treadmill instead of Chemical products
- Vacuum around and underneath Your treadmill in order to prevent dust entering in between the conveyor belt or in between the motor
- Use only a Vacuum and clean cloth to clean the area between the lower deck frame and conveyor belt
- Rotate the conveyor belt repeatedly to clean all parts of the belt
- unplug the power socket and let it rest for at least 10 minutes to prevent yourself of being electrocuted
- Uncover the motor hood and clean the motor of dust with Vacuum and clean cloth
- Put back the motor hood and plug the socket in
- If You noticed that the conveyor belt is becoming loose, tighten it so it runs smooth
- Lubricate the conveyor belt with treadmill lubricant as often as instructed in the user’s manual
Treadmill Motor – All You need to know
No matter what Your intent is, buying a new treadmill or modifying the one You have, You have to know that the motor the the most important part of a treadmill. It carries the most weight and it is the engine that runs Your treadmill. There are many kinds and they are not all the same.
You have to consider and evaluate few factors about the walking machine motor when purchasing one to make sure You are bringing home the right equipment for your needs and use.
Low quality motors tend to over heat and in the long run, You will be spending more in repairs and maintenance. It is recommended to check the warranty, the longer warranty, the better.
The energy of a treadmill motor is measure with Horsepower (HP) and it is not difficult to understand. The quality of a treadmill motor can be categorized into three:
- Continuous Duty – This is the best category when it comes to the energy and HP of the motor
- Treadmill Duty – Still good but lower than the first category
- Peak Duty – This is the weakest type of Motors
However, Many sales men claim that all motors are the same, But the reality is, the more a treadmill costs, the better motor it has. at the end of the day, It all depends on You and what is the purpose of you buying one. Are You a runner, jogger, or walker? depending on that, You can choose the motor that suits Your needs.
As a walker, 2.0 HP motor should be enough
As a jogger, 2.5 HP motor should be enough
As a runner, 3.0 HP motor should be enough and no harm in going a little more like 3.5 HP and the higher, the better
Another factor to consider is, how much You or any user of the treadmill weigh? if the weight is over 200 pounds, You should add another 0.5 HP for the numbers mentioned above.
Another factor to consider is, noise. Especially if you use the treadmill while watching TV, reading, …..etc. Consider purchasing a tread mill that uses DC (Direct Current) rather then the ones using AC (Alternate Current) because they seem to have less noise.
What Muscles are trained when using a Treadmill?
Heart – The Heart is like any muscle in the body. Gets stronger with training and gets weaker with lack of training. While using a treadmill, Your Heart rate increases, and the stamina strengthen.
Quadriceps – Training on a treadmill strengthen Your Quadriceps muscles
Hamstrings – They are the Muscles at the back of Your thighs. Using a Treadmills is a great way to strengthen these muscles
Calves – They are the long muscles between the ankle and knees. You can feel them getting stronger while working out on a treadmill
Glutes – It is the group of 3 muscles located in the butt locks. These muscles are worked in a great deal while on a treadmill
How do I move My Treadmill?
Each Treadmill can be a little different, therefore, You should refer to user’s manual. But, the following is generic steps You can take when ever You plan to move Your treadmill
For folding Treadmills
- Set the incline of Your treadmill to Zero and remove and keep the safety key
- Unplug the power cord
- Fold up the lower deck upwards to a lock position
- Set the lock pin to lock position depending on the setup of Your treadmill
- Use moving blankets or Paper Furniture Pads and wrab it around the treadmill to protect it of damages. That’s if you don’t still have the original box with You
- Slide a dolly under the treadmill by tilting it forward around 40-45 degrees, then fasten it with rob or belt
- Tilt the treadmill on a dolly towards You and carefully start moving it to a truck or desired location
For unfolding Treadmills
you have two options:
- Disassemble Your walking machine or treadmill and move it part by part
- Ask Friends to help You carry it and move
How to get the most benefits of a treadmill workout
- Sprint Workout – Here is how it is done, Run at full speed for 30 seconds, then jog at low speed for 90 seconds. Repeat this routine for 20 minutes. This helps in burning more calories and strengthen Your lower body.
- Challenge Yourself with speed and incline – Sometimes go out of the normal routine and increase the speed, adjust the incline pushing the envelope. This way, You increase the stamina of your heart beat rate and burn more calories.
- Run or walk with dumbbells – Hold a pair of dumbbells in your hands and run with it. This will put more stress on your body and in result, You will burn more calories. This can be done for few minutes and rather than for long period.
- Increase the distance – If you are used to run a mile on a treadmill, run more sometimes. This will give you more time to run and more calories to burn.
Common Mistakes on a Treadmill
- No warm up, stretching, and cooling down
It is always a good idea to warm up for any workout session including a workout on a treadmill. You are preparing Your body for a stress that is going to happen. Also instead of jumping off the treadmills suddenly without telling Your body that this session is going to end is a good idea. This way Your are preventing pain of muscles and dizziness.
2. Holding the handle
A Treadmill is an alternative and an easier option of running outside. You should ask Yourself, Do You hold to anything while running outside? if the answer is no, then You should not do it on a treadmill. This way of running can cause back and nick pain, also makes your workout easier which results to a lesser benefit.
3. Jumping on and off a treadmill while it is moving
Surely You watched many videos of people jumping on or off a treadmill and something dangerous happened. Whatever the temptation is, do NOT jump on or off a treadmill.
4. Taking it easy
If You read a magazine, text on Your Cellphone,…..etc. That means Your workout is not intense enough. Try to challenge Yourself and make Your run worthwhile.
5. Unsuitable Shoes and Cloths
Putting on a suitable Running Shoes is very important, no matter You run on a treadmill or outside, If You don’t put on a pair of suitable Shoes, You risk muscle and joint pain. Also it is very important to wear suitable cloths that is comfortable, fits You, and lead away sweat.
6. Same speed all the time
Running at the same speed all the time is not ideal for most of people, Specially if Your goal is loosing weight. you need to challenge Yourself and increase the speed gradually to get the most out of Your walking machine.
Seated Walking Machines (Happylegs)
This kind of walking Machines are extremely beneficial for older people who can’t use a treadmill or for those who sit a lot on a desk. In this day and age, We spend a lot of time sitting in front of our computers for work. Seated walking Machines keep our legs moving while We sit on a chair and keep blood flowing. Learn more on Amazon
They use a silent motor to keep Your legs moving and active. Setting the machine up is as simple as putting Your feet on it and pushing a button on the remote control that comes with it.
Happylegs can be used with or without shoes on, It can be used at home, office, or anywhere You with to use it at.But, It can’t be used while standing up for a danger of falling.
Simply these machines keep Your legs moving and blood circulation moving. Also studies showed that they can combat the following:
– If You have swollen legs, swollen ankles and swollen knees
– If You have Vascular ulcers case
– If You are Diabetic neuropathy
– If You suffer from Joint or Muscle pain and problems
– If You have deep Vain Thrombosis case
– If You have Arthritis
– If you want to combat Alzheimer